A man in his 40s was rescued from his home by three men after a deep fat fryer caught alight.
The men were in the garden of a house on Francis Street, Clayton-le-Moors, when they heard smoke detector alarms going off from a nearby house owned by David Valentine.
Shane Nickelson, 26, said they found him a sleep on a sofa surrounded by smoke and got him out through an open window.
He said: “We heard the smoke alarms going off and saw him open the bottom window. We thought he had burnt some toast or something.
“We then saw smoke bellowing out of the top window and when we went round we saw him asleep on the settee.
“We were shouting at him through the window and his dogs were barking but he wasn't waking up.
“We got inside and when we got to the kitchen it was full of flames and just orange. We passed the dogs out back through the window and then Dave.”
Mr Nickleson, who was helped by friends Garry McPherson and Mark Geoghan, said Mr Valentine was in shock after the incident.
The fire started in the kitchen area when a deep fat fryer accidentally set on fire causing smoke damage.
Firefighters were called to the scene shortly before 8.30pm on Tuesday, July 8 and carried out first aid for smoke inhalation before paramedics arrived.
Mr Valentine was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital for treatment.
Hyndburn crew manager Alex Fletcher said everyone was outside the property when they arrived and firefighters used breathing apparatus, hose reels and ventilations units to put out the fire.