A BACHELOR living in a one-bedroom flat got the shock of his life when an electricity bill for £3,569 dropped on his doormat.
Brian Jeanne, 62, who lives alone in Gloucester Avenue, Accrington, couldn't believe his eyes when he opened the envelope.
Brian, who works for Hyndburn Council's environmental health department, has lived in the flat for just under a year and pays for his electricity by using a top-up card.
He was horrified when the bill from Powergen arrived in the Saturday morning post and spent the weekend fretting about what he was going to do.
He took it to the Citizen's Advice Bureau first thing on Monday morning to ask for help. Officials contacted Powergen, which blamed a computer error and said it would be sending a formal letter of apology to Mr Jeanne.
But Brian said he did not believe an apology went far enough and the company should do more to make sure such mistakes didn't happen.
He added: "I couldn't do anything over the weekend. I was so worried I didn't sleep. It's enough to give somebody a heart attack. Imagine a little old lady receiving a bill like that."
A spokesperson for Powergen said: "Having investigated Mr Jeanne's complaint, we can confirm that his electricity account was transferred to another supplier in June. At that time we received a meter reading from the supplier and used it to close Mr Jeanne's account.
"Unfortunately this meter reading was incorrectly inputted onto our system, which resulted in a bill for £3,569 being issued in error. We have now corrected the final meter reading and withdrawn the outstanding balance on Mr Jeanne's account. We can confirm that he has no final bill to pay.
"We take cases like this very seriously and are very sorry for the inconvenience and distress that this matter has caused to Mr Jeanne."