A MAN is facing a possible life sentence after admitting a string of sexual offences including the rape of a Great Harwood teenager four years ago.
Shaun Greenwood, 41, of Lisbon Drive, Burnley, pleaded guilty to two offences of rape, which took place in Nelson in January last year and Burnley in February last year.
The pleas, which were entered as Greenwood was due to face trial at Preston Crown Court, were accepted by the prosecution.
The court was then told that he had earlier pleaded guilty to other charges involving the rape and indecent assault of the girl at Great Harwood on 19 January 2002.
That incident caused consternation in the town and led to a huge manhunt.
The 18-year-old was attacked in her own home after arriving back from work.
She heard a knock at the door and when she answered it saw a man standing there. He asked if her parents were in but didn't believe her when she said her mum was upstairs. He then forced his way in and subjected her to the terrifying ordeal.
Although a national campaign was launched by police, including a reconstruction on the BBC1 programme Crimewatch, no arrest was made at the time.
Greenwood had also faced other charges to which he had pleaded not guilty and in due course the Crown will ask that they be allowed to lie on file.
The case has been adjourned for sentencing until Friday 16 June.
The court will consider pre-sentence as well as clinical, psychological and forensic psychiatric reports before sentence is passed.