A FAMILY have been left devastated after seeing their possessions go up in smoke when a blaze ripped through two caravans on farmland in Accrington on Wednesday night.
The family are believed to have been living in a caravan while work was being carried out to convert a farm building into a house at Slate Pits Farm, off the A56 Easterly By-pass.
Two adults and four children escaped without injury when they had to flee the caravan as the fire broke out at around 11.30pm. They were awoken by the smell of smoke and rushed to alert their relatives, who run the farm, who called the Fire Brigade.
The caravans were close to a barn which had around 20 cows inside. The farmer rushed to clear the cows into a field while around 25 firefighters tackled the ferocious blaze. It also destroyed a car parked nearby and damaged the side of the barn.
Sub Officer Gary Ibbitson, from Accrington Fire Station, said it proved to be a dangerous operation as several propane gas cylinders were piled up next to the caravans.
He said: "We had to cut them free and move them away from the scene and used cooling jets to cool them down. We also found two propane gas cylinders inside, so we had to stand back and make them safe."