Firefighters managed to wake a man as his kitchen became engulfed in smoke, thanks to a neighbour.
The neighbour called the fire brigade after hearing the smoke alarm coming from the man's house next door.
When firefighters arrived at the house on Aitken Street in Accrington at 1.53am this morning they banged on the door and the man came down.
A spokesman for Hyndburn Fire Station said: "A grill pan in the man's kitchen had been left on. Fortunately the neighbour heard the smoke alarm and alerted us. The man, in his 30s, hadn't heard the alarm but answered the door to us. We then dealt with the smoke before a fire could start."
No one was injured.