How we use Cookies

Pan fire on Company Street, Rishton

Firefighters tackled a blaze after an elderly resident left a pan on a hob in Rishton.

Firefighters tackled a blaze after an elderly resident left a pan on a hob in Rishton.

The crews were called out to a house on Company Street at around 11.40pm last night.

Watch manager Rob Birtwistle said the elderly resident escaped the blaze and was at a neighbour's house when they arrived.

He said: "Oxygen was administered at the scene and paramedics took the occupier for a precautionary check up to hospital.

"An elderly occupant had left a pan on which had filled the property with smoke. We entered the house wearing breathing apparatus and used fans to clear the house of smoke.

He added: "The fire shows the importance of having a working smoke alarm. The ones we'd originally fitted to the property prevented this fire from what would have been a fatal fire 10 years ago."

 

Journalists

Stuart Pike
Deputy editor specialising in politics
Alex Bell
Crime
Bethany English
District reporter
Beth Abbit
Court reporter
Jon Macpherson
Reporter
Kate Watkins
Reporter specialising in communities
Garth Dawson
Photographer and columnist