A family had a ‘lucky escape’ after a six-year-old boy set fire to clothes and curtains.
Two fire crews from Hyndburn and one from Blackburn attended a house on Corporation Street in Accrington where a mother and her three children were living.
The fire service said the blaze was started in an upstairs bedroom by a six-year-old boy who was playing with a cigarette lighter and accidentally set fire to clothes and curtains in the room.
The mum suffered minor burns to her hands in an effort to put out the fire which started at around 2.45pm on Sunday, June 7.
Garry Drinkwater, watch manager, said: “The occupants of the house had a very lucky escape as they noticed the fire in the early stages.
“The mother-of-three told the children to leave the house as she tried to put out the fire with a wet towel, leading to slight burns on her hands.
“The oldest son found the six-year-old boy hiding in a wardrobe and then with his other brother left the house.
“We would like to take this opportunity to remind people to keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children and to regularly check your smoke alarms.”