A 12-week-old kitten called Socks was rescued by firefighters after getting stuck inside a chimney breast for 90 minutes.
Owner Daniel Cleary said was lucky not to be 'burnt alive' after climbing through a small hole next to the gas heater and then sitting on the burners at the back of the gas fire.
The former Mount Carmel High School pupil was at home on Clarence Road, Accrington, with his girlfriend Leanne Feeney when Socks ran into the hole.
Mr Cleary said: “We had only had the cat about six days. She was a bit scared because she's new to the house and was running all over the place.
“My girlfriend had her on her lap and when she stroked it she ran up inside a hole next to the fire and into the chimney breast.
“I tried to get her out by taking the fire off but couldn't and then called the fire brigade.
“If the heating had been on at the time she would have been burnt alive. We are very lucky it wasn't on when she got stuck.”
Mr Cleary, 18, said he was delighted to see her rescued and a new gas fire will be installed to prevent the incident happening again.
He said: “She was a bit shaken up and wouldn't come near us for about three days.
“We won't let it in the living room now in case it happens again so she has to stay upstairs or in the kitchen.”
Fire crews from Hyndburn were called to the address just after 1pm on Saturday, November 2.
A Lancashire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “The used hand tools and a crow bar to gain access and got the kitten out.
“Somehow it had crawled behind the gas fire and got stuck. A gas fire engineer was then called to make it safe.”