For comprehensive listings of local facilities in Altham and Clayton-le-Moors, please select any of the links on the right. Contact details and maps are also provided.
Clayton-le-Moors derives its name literally from the ' clay town in the moors'. The world-famous Nori bricks - made to build countless streets and buildings throughout the north of England, originated in this area's clay-rich ground.
Calico printing and soap-making were also industrial mainstays of the area, but today the Clayton and Altham business parks mean that many different industries are based here. Clayton is also a milestone on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal as it is exactly half way.
Altham also dates back to Saxon times. The Parish Church of St. James is mainly 16th Century with a 19th Century bell tower. The area was once rich in coal mines and a memorial can be found in the churchyard to over 100 miners who were killed on November 7th, 1883 by an explosion at the nearby Moorfield Colliery.