BRAVE firefighters who tackled a blazing camper van containing gas cylinders, say it may have been the work of arsonists.
Crews were called out to Clement Street, Accrington, after police spotted a glow coming from the Fiat camper which was parked on the street in the early hours of Tuesday 20 November.
By the time firefighters had arrived, the flames had spread to nearby Contract Electrical Griffin Works and crews had to use two hose reels and breathing apparatus to tackle it.
The fire caused a major gas leak in the bulding and the area had to be sealed off for an hour.
This week, it was revealed the fire was being treated as suspicious and it is thought the fire was started deliberately.
Watch Manager Liam Barker said: “When we were first called out we were told it was a motor home that was in flames, but while we were on the way we got a secnd call telling us it had reached a building.
“We also knew there were gas cylinders inside so we had to be very careful.
“We used two jets to take it down quickly, using foam to tackle it. People need to be aware of how easily fires can spread and become dangerous.”
The fire gutted the camper van and damaged the building.
Sergeant Alan Davies of Accrington Police confirmed that the blaze was under investigation and was being treated as suspicious.