AN UNLUCKY black cat came within a whisker of losing one of his nine lives after getting his head stuck in a tin of cat food.
Little Snippet was playing at home when curiosity got the better of him.
The mischievous moggy found an opened tin of cat food and decided to stick his head inside for a quick snack while his owner Kerry Owens was out.
However, his luck ran out when his head became trapped inside.
Mum-of-two Kerry, 30, of Burton Street, Rishton, said: "I came home and straight away I could hear the cat making noise as though he was in distress.
"Then I saw him with the can of cat food on his head and I just panicked because he was suffocating."
She managed to pierce holes in the tin to give him air and tried in vain to use washing up liquid to slide his head out.
She decided to rush to Hyndburn Community Fire Station to seek help from firefighters, who managed to cut him free.
Kerry said: "The fire officers were fantastic. They cut him out quite easily and I thanked them before sneaking out. It was a little embarrassing."
Kerry's daughter Heather, eight, a pupil at Great Harwood Primary, who looks after the cat, said: "I was really surprised by what happened but Snippet is always getting into mischief. He likes to climb on the top of my toys and then fall down. I am glad he is okay.
"I told everyone at school about what had happened and they all thought it was funny."