A FIVE-hour skin graft operation left burns boy Dillon Cawley in agony.
And his anguished parents say they will be surprised if he is out of hospital for Christmas.
Nine-year-old Dillon, of Corporation Street, Accrington, was left with 20 per cent burns after a horrific incident while he was out playing near his home last Tuesday night.
A toy car, covered in petrol and set alight, was kicked towards him and his clothes went up in flames.
He ran towards his home screaming: "Help me, help me, I'm going to die" and shocked neighbours called the ambulance.
He was taken to Blackburn Royal Infirmary before being transferred to the burns unit at Booth Hall Children's Hospital, Manchester, where his parents have been keeping a bedside vigil.
On Monday he underwent the traumatic operation of having skin removed from his legs and grafted onto his chest, where he suffered the severest burns, as well as a blood transfusion.
Dillon's dad Martin, 37, who lives in Rochdale, said: "Dillon was in so much pain he couldn't feel his legs after the operation. He is on morphine 24 hours a day and his upper body is covered in bandages like a mummy.
"He suffered burns to his chest, both hands and his right thigh.
"As parents we cannot describe how we feel about the accident. We would urge children to be more careful and adults not to sell petrol to under-age kids."
Dillon's mum Helen, 37, had only just been discharged from hospital on the day of the accident after giving birth to her eighth child, Candice.
She said: "We are back and forward all the time, looking after all the children and taking them to school, and, of course, it is so important for us to be with Dillon as much as possible.
"He is getting stronger every day but he is very rarely awake at the moment. He says a couple of words and then he is back to sleep due to the medication.
"He is in agony and it is so distressing for us to see but the nurses are fantastic with him. I will be surprised if he is allowed home for Christmas.
"My kids will not be going out on Bonfire Night and I am going to put up a picture of Dillon in his bandages in the house, so the other children can see what damage fire can do."
Dillon was back in theatre on Wednesday, and will still have to make regular visits to the hospital after he has been discharged to see if his skin is stretching properly.
Mr John Boden, the headteacher at Hyndburn Park Primary School, where Dillon is a pupil, said: "All the staff were very shocked when they found out about Dillon's accident.
"Some of the children made get-well cards for him, and we had a collection among the staff and bought him some games that he could play while in hospital. Dillon is a nice little boy with his own character. We all wish him well for a quick recovery."