Nine elderly residents and staff at a care home were evacuated when a fire at a nearby garage caused thick black smoke to rise and spread.
Tyres, wheels and car parts caught light in a repair garage behind Vine House Care Home last night shortly after 8pm.
The fire damaged swept through the garage and damaged a Vauxhall van and spread to the home next door, cracking part of the wall and damaging fencing.
Ann Day, manager at Vine House, said: "All 11 people in our building had to be evacuated because of the smoke. With it being a hot night all the windows were open and the smoke was a risk. But our staff were great and shut all the windows before moving the residents out on to the street."
John Taylor, of Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, said four fire crews from Blackburn and Hyndburn used 20 litres of foam to put the flames out.
He said: "We don't know what has caused it yet but will investigate the matter. Around 20 firefighters were at the scene for almost two hours."