ACCRINGTON Civic Trust is battling to restore a beautiful stone-carved coat of arms dating back to 1890.
The two large stone blocks were saved when the former Accrington Gas and Water Board premises at the corner of Willow Street and St James Street were demolished in 1970.
They have since been languishing in the garden of the children's library in Willow Street.
But after talk of "sculptural innovations" being introduced on Broadway, the civic trust has started a campaign for their restoration.
Chairman Alan Benson has called for a meeting with council leader Peter Britcliffe to discuss the issue.
He said in a letter: "The offices were demolished to make way for the erection of that awful building which was formerly the Job Centre and is now once again unoccupied.
"The old stone-built Victorian building was one of the most impressive in the town with its magnificent marble floor and oak-panelled interior and, in contrast to its successor, blended in with the neighbouring Mechnics Institute, banks and library. But objections to its demolition were to no avail as the site was urgently required by the Government.
"Fortunately, as the result of the intervention of one of our members, the two large stone blocks forming the coat of arms were saved from demolition and placed by the contractors in the garden of the children's library where they have remained ever since.
"So far as can be ascertained the carvings on the stones appear to be in excellent condition and our committee feels they could be readily re-assembled to form an interesting example of Victorian craftsmanship and a relic of old Accrington, which on a suitable site would be a most attractive feature of the town centre."
Mr Benson has sent Councillor Britcliffe an old photograph showing the upper facade of the building and the coat of arms, presumably that of the Gas and Water Board, with the date of its erection, 1890, clearly visible.
The issue was discussed at the 36th annual meeting of the Trust held at Accrington Town Hall when Mr Benson was re-appointed along with secretary Mr Rodney Parkinson and treasurer Mr Geoffrey Roberts.
Mrs Kath Fishwick, vice-chairman of the North West Association of Civic Trust Societies, spoke on the work of the Civic Trust both locally and nationally, stressing that the Government now recognised the role that such groups play in improving and protecting the environment.