Firefighters tackled a kitchen blaze after clothes had been left on a hob which had been accidentally turned on.
They tackled the flames at a house on the Alleytroyds Estate in Church on Friday night.
Firefighter Neil Cooper said after they'd put the fire out a pet cat was released .
He said: "We had to break into the front PVC door to gain access because residents said people might be inside. Once a thorough search had been conducted, no persons were found but a pet cat was released."
He added: "No alarms had been fitted at the premise so we fitted smoke detectors at the scene."
Fire crews used a triple extension ladder, four breathing apparatus and a ventilation unit to clear the smoke.
The kitchen and ground floor had been damaged by heat and smoke.