A MOTHER has spoken of her panic after her 13-year-old son was the victim of a "potentially lethal" prank when a dog lead became embedded in his neck.
Adam Oates of Rydal Close, Huncoat, who is a pupil at Moorhead High School, was out cycling with his friend Christopher Stinson when he rode into the cord of a retractable dog lead, which had been suspended across the entrance to an area of parkland near Accrington Cemetery.
He hung from it momentarily before falling to the ground, where he lay unconscious for several minutes before staggering home with his friend, bleeding heavily from his neck and elbow.
Adam, who has eight brothers and sisters, was taken by ambulance to the Royal Blackburn Hospital and treated for his injuries.
Adam's mum Tracy Britton, 37, said: "I was horrified when he came home. He was really disorientated. I think he'd gone into shock.
"Whoever put the dog lead there probably thought it was a prank, but if Adam had been going any faster it could have killed him. I can't bear to think about it.
"I want the person who put the lead there to be caught and to tell them that they have turned our lives upside down. I feel I can't even let the kids out on their bikes since it happened."
Inspector Terry Woods, of Accrington Police, said: "Officers have spoken to the young lad and his family and are investigating this matter.
"Any incident like this is taken extremely seriously by the police as it has potentially lethal consequences, and I would ask any witnesses who might know something about what happened to contact Sergeant Martin Knight, who is leading the investigation."
Witnesses can call police on 51212 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.