A deputy headteacher who was cleared of slapping a pupil has left his role at a primary school.
Royden Cope was cleared of assaulting a pupil at St Bartholomew’s CofE Primary School.
More than a dozen supporters, including parents and teachers, cheered and applauded as he walked free from Blackburn Magistrates’ Court in August following a one-day trial.
The school on Ash Street, Great Harwood, has now confirmed that Mr Cope has left.
Mark Mackley, headteacher at St Bartholomew’s, said: “After careful deliberation Mr Cope has decided that he will not be returning to his position of deputy headteacher and has left the employment of the school with effect from January 31 2013.”
Lancashire County Council said an internal investigation was carried out after the allegation against Mr Cope had come to light. Mr Cope, 63, of Hatfield Road, Accrington, had been suspended but was found not guilty of common assault following the one-day trial.
He also said after the hearing that he would have to consider whether he was going to return to the role of deputy headteacher at St Bartholomew’s.
Colleagues and his son also said Mr Cope had been a well-respected figure at the school for decades.