A WOMAN has been disqualified from owning a pet for two years after pleading guilty to neglecting a dog.
Deborah Hargreaves, 47, of Cobham Road, Accrington, appeared before Hyndburn magistrates on Wednesday charged with causing unnecessary suffering to her pet dog, Lucky, after it received burns from having a boiling cup of tea spilled on its coat.
The female black and tan cross-breed was taken in by Hargreaves and her family five years ago when her children grew fond of the stray.
Hargreaves’ defence solicitor said that the injuries had been caused accidentally during a party at her home.
The defendant argued that she was not made aware of the injuries until some days later when she attempted to bathe the burns with a wet flannel.
Chris Wyatt, prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, told the court that Lucky’s injuries were caused by a thermal burn and that one of the ulcers measured 40cm.
The magistrates commended Hargreaves for her previous unblemished record and her co-operation with the RSPCA.
But they said the matter of neglect was a serious issue for the court. Hargreaves, a nursery nurse, was disqualified from owning a dog for two years and ordered to pay £200 court costs.
After the hearing, Inspector Lisa Lupson said: "While she did not deliberately injure the animal, her neglect after the incident proves she is unfit to care for animals."