An elderly couple escaped from their home as their kitchen went up in flames yesterday.
The cooking area was destroyed in the accidental blaze at around 4pm at the property on Emma Street in Accrington.
Crew manager Dave Forth, of Hyndburn Fire Station, said something had been placed on a lit cooker ring, which kick-started the fire.
He said: "The couple got out before we arrived. The kitchen was badly damaged but the rest of the house was fine as they managed to close the kitchen door on the way out. We were at the house for about 45 minutes and used breathing apparatus and a hose reel."