HORRIFIED neighbours have told how fire swept through a house wrecking the front room and porch.
The blaze on Spring Street, Rishton, completely destroyed the front room of the house and caused smoke damage to properties either side.
Carolyn Taylor, 42, of Spring Street, said she called the Fire Brigade at 8.24am after her husband spotted smoke drifting down the street.
Mrs Taylor said: "We opened the curtains and Robert saw smoke and flew out of the house.
"He said there was a house on fire so I flew out after him and phoned 999."
Neighbour Zoe Proctor, 37, also saw the fire.
She said: "I was sitting in my lounge and saw Carolyn go running along in her pyjamas and dressing gown.
"It was just like a fog that drifted past the window and, being typically nosy, I went to see what it was.
"When I went out there was smoke belching from the door of the house."
She added: "My main concern was for the children."
However, fire officers discovered the occupant of the house, Donna Dunne, and her children Ellie, six, Conor, 10, and David, who is in his 20s, were out at the time.
Ms Dunne is now thought to be staying with family in either Oswaldtwistle or Clayton-le-Moors.
Mrs Taylor said: "The firemen were brilliant. I'm full of praise, they turned up really, really quickly."
The fire crews had to enter the house after breaking a window because they couldn't get through the locked doors, despite using specialist equipment.
A back room, kitchen, bathroom and three first-floor bedrooms were all damaged in the fire.
Firefighters said the fire was caused by an electrical fault.