An Accrington takeaway was devastated after it was engulfed by flames last night.
Families were evacuated from neighbouring properties and were still waiting to return home on Thursday morning following the blaze at the Sahad takeaway on Blackburn Road.
Flames broke through the roof of the shop and it took crews more than an hour to tackle the blaze, which is thought to have started due to a faulty flue within the downstairs shop.
Fire fighters raced to the scene after shop owners raised the alarm just before 7pm, on Wednesday.
It was the second time in recent weeks that the town centre takeaway had suffered major damage after the front part of the building collapsed in July.
The road remained closed on Thursday morning. A total of 13 callers rang 999 to alert the emergency services to the scene.
Two fire crews from Hyndburn fire station raced to the scene and even Hyndburn Council leader Miles Parkinson helped to tackle the blaze in his role as a retained firefighter.
Within minutes of arriving on the scene the flames broke through the roof of the shop but fire fighters were able to contain the fire to the shop using high pressure hose reels.
Watch manager Liam Barker said: "Crews were faced with a well developed fire involving the extractor flue within a takeaway premise, causing large amounts of smoke spreading along the terraced roof threatening domestic properties either side.
"Within minutes of arriving on scene the fire broke through the roof of the shop, and with Fire Fighters deployed in the roof areas with high pressure hose reels were able to contain the fire to the shop.
"Using a water tower from an ariel ladder platform it still took an hour to get the fire under control."
Families from neighbouring properties were evacuated and were still waiting to return to their homes on Thursday morning as the buildings are thought to be unsafe.
Fire crews were at the scene throughout the night before confirming the fire was completely extinguished. On Thursday morning the fire service were at scene carrying out a fire investigation but is believed the blaze was started accidentally.