A passer-by helped a young couple and their three children escape from their house after it caught fire yesterday.
Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said a man walking down Lomax Street in Great Harwood saw smoke coming from the family's mid-terraced house at around 2.40am on Sunday, February 20.
He smashed a window and helped the family to safety before firefighters from Hyndburn Fire Station arrived.
The blaze started in the kitchen.
No one was injured during the incident but all of the people involved were treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.
There was severe damage by fire to the cooker and fridge freezer and light damage by smoke to first floor.