Accrington Stanley chiefs have implored their fans not to bring incendiary devices including flares, smoke bombs and sparklers into games.
Health and safety bosses were in attendance at a recent Stanley game when a smoke bomb was let off by home fans. The club has since been reminded of its safety obligations.
Its response was to hand out leaflets at Monday’s Grimsby match warning that the Clayton Terrace would be closed in the event of further breaches.
The Reds are well known for their banners, flags and boisterous support, home and away, and the warning has sparked debate on fan message boards.
Reds chief executive Rob Heys said: "So far we have just had a few smoke pellets and some sparklers a couple of times but we wanted to nip it in the bud. We want to make sure that everyone can watch Accrington in a safe environment."
He added: "The last thing we want to do is to dampen everyone’s enthusiasm as over the course of the season the fans are worth plenty of points to us. It’s not the club being draconian, but we are appealing for fans to work with us."
In February three arrests were made at a League One match after a red flare was thrown by a travelling Swindon fan at their game with Leyton Orient.
Officials from both clubs claimed lives had been endangered as the flare could have set fire to a segregation net.
An average of three matches every season are inspected by Lancashire County Council officials, as well as the Football League.
But the county council has played down suggestions they could close a stand, insisting the safety of spectators is down to the club.
County surveyor Roger Walmsley said: "During a recent inspection at Accrington Stanley a smoke bomb was let off in the crowd.
"It was a one-off incident which I discussed with the club’s safety officer after the game. We work closely with clubs to make sure everyone enjoys the match and goes home safely."