Firefighters have urged people to recycle their plastic items rather than burning them in a rubbish pile.
Crews were called out to the back garden of a house on Cliff Street in Rishton last night.
When they arrived the occupier was burning a large amount of rubbish which contained plastic items.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "We put the fire out with a hose reel. And then informed the occupier not to burn plastics as they give out toxic flames. It is better to recycle it."
The rubbish fire happened at around 10.50pm on Tuesday.