News

Fire sparks asbestos alarm

ROYDS Street in Accrington was sealed off on Tuesday afternoon after firefighters discovered dangerous asbestos while tackling a garage blaze.

Enter your postcode to see news and information near you

Community updates, Crime Statistics, Local News & Events and much more...

A COUNCIL worker removes asbestos from the scene of the blaze

ROYDS Street in Accrington was sealed off on Tuesday afternoon after firefighters discovered dangerous asbestos while tackling a garage blaze.

Crews attending the fire, thought to have been sparked by arsonists, realised the roof of the burning garage was made from asbestos sheeting and cordoned off the area, ordering residents to stay indoors.

Council environmental health workers, dressed in full protective gear, were then called to the scene to clear up the potentially-deadly debris.

Station officer Chris Hollis, of Hyndburn Fire Station, said as soon as they realised about the asbestos, they immediately dampened the roof down to stop any particles becoming airborne.

He said: "The main danger is in the smoke and we took the necessary precautions but there was very low risk to residents."

The garage and its contents were destroyed.