An elderly couple were taken to hospital after being rescued from a fire at their home.
The pensioners suffered smoke inhalation following the downstairs bedroom blaze at the house on Trinity Street, Oswaldtwistle.
Neighbours alerted fire crews who took the pair to safety, including the man who was bed-bound.
It is believed the fire at around 8.50pm on Wednesday, October 3, was caused by a cigarette.
The couple are now recovering at home having been discharged from hospital.
Watch Manager Liam Barker, of Hyndburn Fire Station, said the fire would have been fatal without smoke detectors.
One neighbour said locals rushed out to see what was going on even though it was absolutely pouring with rain.
He added: “The woman is only small and couldn’t have got her husband out of bed without the firemen.”