A COUPLE were taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning after escaping a blaze in the bedroom of their home.
The couple suffered from burns and smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.
Firefighters from Great Harwood and Hyndburn arrived at Edgeside, Great Harwood, just after midnight last Sunday to find the bedroom ablaze at the house.
The bed and furniture in the room were alight and the whole of the first floor was heavily smoke logged.
It is thought the fire had been started accidentally by a cigarette and was made worse by oxygen therapy equipment in the room which acted as a propellant.
There was severe damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the first floor. It took firefighters around an hour to put out the blaze.
The distressed couple were found downstairs and firefighters gave them first aid while they waited for paramedics to arrive.
The couple were both taken to hospital and it is thought one was detained overnight.
Firefighter Colin Byers, station watch manager who attended the blaze said: "The fire was intensified by the use of oxygen equipment in the bedroom.
"The quick actions of the lady's husband probably prevented the injuries from being much worse."
He said smoke alarms were not installed in the house and added: "If smoke alarms had been installed they would have been alerted sooner."
- THE fire service is offering free home fire safety checks which includes free fitting of smoke detectors and advice with regard to fire safety in the home.
Anyone wishing to take advantage of this service should contact their local fire station to arrange a visit.