Firefighters were called out to a smoke-filled flat yesterday because a packet of crisps had been left on a cooking ring.
Crews said the flat on Lyndon Avenue in Great Harwood was heavily smoke logged on arrival but no fire had started.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "A caretaker on the site where the flats are heard a smoke alarm shortly after 1pm on Monday, October 3 and alerted us.
"Around 10 firefighters went in with breathing apparatus and used a ventilation fan to clear the smoke. There was no one in at the time."
Crews spent around 20 minutes at the flat before leaving.
The kitchen was smoke damaged.