A COUPLE were rescued from a bedroom after a fire broke out in their house.
The blaze happened at 12.35am on Monday at a house in Emma Street, Accrington.
Julie Marchant, 43, and Justin Riley, 22, had just gone to bed.
Julie said: "I was drifting off to sleep when I smelled smoke. I thought it was maybe the halogen lamp in our bedroom. I opened the bedroom door and there was smoke everywhere. I have had some fire safety training as a Guide so I knew I had to stay safe."
She woke Justin, who packed the bedroom door with sheets so smoke couldn’t get in and called the Fire Brigade from his mobile.
As they were unsure of where the fire was, they thought it best to stay in the bedroom rather than go elsewhere in the house.
Fire crews broke down the front door and escorted them and their dog Benji from the house before tackling the blaze.
The pair were treated at the scene and are doing fine.
Julie said: "All of the back bedroom is ruined but we are lucky nothing worse happened. Justin has a new job so he went to work as usual on Monday morning.
"We were very lucky. Benji was asleep downstairs on the settee when the fire broke out but we got him out."
Watch manager Keith Cunliffe said the fire was being investigated but was not being treated as suspicious.
Julie said: "I am not sure how the fire started because we don’t smoke and there are no electrics in the room. It might been a radiator or something."
Fire crews have now installed a smoke detector.