A FURIOUS dad has told of his horror after his baby daughter almost swallowed a metal washer which was in a pie she was eating.
Andrew Emmett of Cliff Street, Rishton, spotted the washer in nine-month-old Jodie's mouth as she enjoyed the butter pie, which he had bought for her lunch.
He immediately leaped into action and managed to scoop the piece of metal out before the tot could swallow it but he said it could have been much worse.
Andrew said he and his partner Janet had bought the pie, supplied by Palatine Bakery in Great Harwood, from a shop in Rishton.
He added: "I was feeding the baby and spotted it because she had her mouth open. She kind of started chewing on it because she had tasted it and I had to grab it out of her mouth quickly. It is a little round metal object like a washer or some kind of press stud.
"I took it to the shop where I had bought it and the woman there rang the bakery where it had come from and put me on the phone. The man there just said I shouldn't have been feeding a pie to a nine-month-old baby.
"Then he said he would give me a refund but that is not the issue. The issue is a nine-month-old baby could have choked on it and there are obviously germs on a piece of metal. She had eaten half of the pie before I spotted it.
"We were lucky because I was feeding the baby but if it was an older child eating on her own who knows what could have happened."
A spokesperson for Palatine said: "I asked the man to come down and show us the pie. He said he would not bring it down but he was taking it to the Environmental Health Department.
"We wanted to have a look at it first as we have no idea where it came from. I am hoping that Environmental Health do come down and I will take them around and show them how we operate. We have never had any problems like this before."
Hyndburn Council's Environmental Health Department confirmed that its food safety team has received a complaint and is investigating.