A TWO-year-old Oswaldtwistle boy was rushed to hospital with a suspected methadone overdose.
The tiny tot was taken to Queen's Park Hospital in Blackburn in the early hours of Friday morning after he swallowed the heroin substitute, which police think belonged to his parents.
The admission sparked a police inquiry after concerned staff reported the incident to them.
The toddler's parents, whose details cannot be released until a possible charge is brought, were arrested and interviewed by detectives.
Detective Sergeant Peter Simm of the Public Protection Unit at Accrington police, said officers were examining evidence to establish if a prosecution was possible.
He said: "The child had ingested an amount of methadone. Two people were arrested in relation to the circumstances surrounding why the boy had methadone in him.
"The couple were released on police bail pending forensic and medical inquiries; fortunately the little boy has fully recovered. Officers carried out an investigation with Blackburn and Darwen Social Services and inquiries are continuing."
A spokesman for Blackburn and Darwen Council said the social services' investigation would be conducted under national guidelines. A key element of this is establishing whether the parents intentionally gave the toddler methadone or if it was an accident.
He said: "It should be a straight forward investigation in accordance with the Children Act 1989, and will look at the well-being of the child, taking into account family background.
"Most children are better off within the family. But if there are indications or concerns over the child's safety there may be a different outcome.
"Kids do all sorts of things, such as swallowing their mothers' contraceptive pills.
"Methadone is a medication and it would be wrong to jump to conclusions because a child has swallowed it. As with any investigation, the facts need to be established."