A MUM is lucky to be alive after her fridge freezer exploded, killing the family dog and destroying the inside of her home.
Tracy Smith, 36, had left her home in Whalley Road, Accrin-gton, for 15 minutes on Tuesday to collect her nine-year-old son Bradley from St Mary Magda-len’s Primary School.
Within minutes of her setting foot outside the house the faulty appliance exploded and set the kitchen alight.
Tracy’s 11-year-old pedigree Llaso Apso dog Charlie was inside the house when the fire started and died at the scene.
Tracy – who has lived in the house for eight months – said if she hadn’t gone to collect her son, she could also have been killed.
She told the Observer: "I had only been out of the house for 15 minutes. If I had been inside when the fridge exploded I would be dead.
"We have nothing left, everything was destroyed in the fire. All I have are the clothes I am standing in and a coat. The house is just a mess. I can’t believe it."
Tracy heard fire engine sirens as she headed home and even joked to her son that they were en-route to their house.
When she arrived home the firefighters were busy tackling the flames.
The house has been left uninhabitable and Tracy and Bradley have been forced to stay with friends in Accrington until alternative accommodation is found by housing association Sterling Properties.
Tracy added: "The fact I left the house to pick up Bradley saved my life. My neighbour looked out of her window and saw smoke billowing from my kitchen and she could hear the smoke alarms going off.
"I don’t know what is going to happen next. I will just have to wait and see."