A DRUGS alert has been sparked after a council employee pricked his finger on a syringe needle while working in Accrington.
The cleaner, who the Observer has agreed not to name, was tidying up a car park near Wellington Street last Tuesday when the incident happened.
He was taken to hospital where he underwent tests.
Barnfield ward councillor Paul Barton said: "It is just like drug city around here. If these drug users want to play these silly games, they should do it at home behind closed doors. I just hope this man is okay."
Steve Todd, head of Hyndburn Council's environment health services, this week declined to comment on the specific incident.
But he stressed that the risk of infection would be reduced if the needle had been used a long time ago.
He said: "These things do happen from time to time and the council has procedures to deal with them. When people get needle stick injuries, as we call them, they are able to go to casualty where they receive treatment and advice.
"We have risk assessment and people are advised how to deal with these incidents. The advice to the public is they should be careful when handling these things."