A PENSIONER has told of her shock after her house was struck by lightning during the storms on Tuesday afternoon.
Winifred McKenna, 74, was reading the paper in the back room of her home in Trinity Street, Oswaldtwistle, when she heard an ear-splitting bang.
She thought there had been a car crash and rushed into the living room to find that it was filled with smoke.
The force of the lightning strike was so strong it had blown a double plug socket off the wall, destroyed her TV and burned the nearby wallpaper and TV cabinet, leaving behind black stains.
Winifred said: "I was sitting in the room next door reading the paper and I heard an almighty bang. At first I didn't know what had happened but the noise was tremendous."
"I didn't see any lightning; the bang seemed to come from nowhere, but one of my neighbours said afterwards that she saw lightning over their back garden."
"I was frightened of a fire starting so I called the Fire Brigade and they came out to the house. One of them said a screw in the plug socket had been welded by the heat."
"I feel very grateful that I was not hurt but it was a shock and I did feel a bit shaken up."
Winifred has had her damaged plug socket changed and will have to replace her TV.
- Parts of Hyndburn were hit by floods when the heavy rain battered the borough.
Fire crews were called to the Royal Oak pub, Union Road, Oswaldtwistle, and Knuzden Brook pub, Knuzden, when the cellars flooded.
Landlady of the Knuz-den Brook, Vivien Mar-shall, said: "It was just in the cellar really and the Fire Brigade came and pumped it out. We didn't have anything damaged. We caught it just in time really, it could have been a lot worse."
Fire crews also had to pump water away from Haslingden Old Road, Oswaldtwistle.