FIREFIGHTERS have issued an urgent warning to residents not to leave their ovens on following a kitchen blaze at a house on Edmund Street, Accrington.
Officers arrived to find smoke pouring from the kitchen. The blaze destroyed some clothes and caused heat damage to a tumble drier and smoke damage to the rest of the room.
It is believed to have started after the clothes were left too close to the oven, which had not been switched off.
Luckily, the family were out when the blaze started and officers were soon able to get it under control – but they have warned residents to beware of leaving appliances switched on.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Luckily the kitchen door was closed which stopped the fire spreading.
“We advise people when cooking to stay in the same room and keep an eye on the cooker.
“It is very easy to get distracted by other things which is how fires can start.”