A HORRIFIED mum got the shock of her life when she discovered her baby daughter chewing on a pipe cleaner she found in a packet of crisps.
Mum-of-six Amanda Bryan, 34, noticed her 18-month old daughter Ellie chewing something hard while she was eating a packet of Nik-Nak crisps she had bought from Accrington's Asda store.
Amanda, of Worston Close, Accrington, said: "She was eating a packet of the cheesy-flavoured Nik Naks when I noticed she had got something chewy in her mouth.
"It was bendy and thin and it looked quite like one of the crisps until I realised it was a piece of yellow pipe cleaner."
The quick-thinking housewife managed to take the offending object out of Ellie's mouth before it caused any problems.
She added: "I am glad I spotted it and she didn't swallow it. It could have cut her tongue.
"I have no idea how it got there but I thought at the time somebody had done it for a prank.
"But it wouldn't have been funny if she had swallowed it."
Mrs Bryan, who lives with her husband John and her five other children, Mark, 15, John, 11, Abbie, nine, Liam, five, and Conor, three, is at a loss as to how the object got there.
"Although Ellie was not hurt she could have been.
"I don't understand how it got there as I have been buying crisps from the store for a long time and have never had any problems with them," she added.
A spokesman for Asda said: "If this was one of our own-brand products then we would carry out an investigation.
"Nik-Naks are made by Golden Wonder and are therefore not an Asda-brand product. In these cases we normally pass it on to the supplier so it can investigate the matter."
A spokesman for Golden Wonder said: "We take product contamination very seriously and have procedures in place for consumers to contact us directly so we can investigate the matter further.
"The consumer is also entitled to contact his or her local environmental health department at no cost to carry out a full investigation, with which Golden Wonder will be only too happy to co-operate.''