RESIDENTS will feel safer on the streets from now on after Hyndburn Council announced it was installing 20 new CCTV cameras across the borough.
The cameras are being placed at crime hotspots identified by area councils and form part of the council's £300,000 safety proposals in its new budget to be announced next week.
The money will also be used to fund six new community safety officers who will walk the beat on the area's streets. This takes the total to 18.
Councillor Peter Britcliffe, Conservative leader of the council, said: "It's wonderful news for Hyndburn.
"These new cameras are a response to people's hopes and concerns. It's tremendous.
"In a recent survey 86 per cent of people said they want to feel safer and 55 per cent of them said they were prepared to pay to make that happen.
"We are determined to make our streets safer and residents have been asked, via the area councils, where they would most like to see the cameras located. The final list of sites is a direct result of what they have been telling us."
Locations of the cameras will be:
- Two on Union Road, Oswaldtwistle, one at the end of Trinity Street to cover the Black Dog and the Rose and Crown and the second by Ossy Glass.
- At Woodnook to cover Royds Street.
- Three in Great Harwood - on Town Gate to cover the skate park, Sopranos and Commercial Road.
- On Rhyddings Street, Oswaldtwistle, to cover Rhyddings Park.
- Spring Street, Rishton, at the junction with Blackburn Road.
- On Manchester Road, Baxenden, at the junction with Hollins Lane.
- One covering Willow Street and Lar-de-dars in Accrington.
- One for Woodnook at the junction of Belfield Road and Nuttall Street.
- At the Water Street, Avenue Parade and Stanley Street, junction, Accrington.
- On Spring Hill to cover Bullough Park, Willows Lane and the bowling club.
- One at the corner of Sparth Road, Lower Barnes Street, Barnes Street and Rishton Road in Clayton-le-Moors.
- At the junction of Blackburn Road and Princess Street in Accrington.
- At the junction of Ormerod Street and Willows Lane in Accrington.
- On Laneside in Church.
- A gateway camera on Burnley Road in Huncoat.
- A gateway camera on Henry Street in Church.
- A gateway camera at the junction of Burnley Road and Whalley Road in Clayton-le-Moors.