FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning about electric blankets after a fire at a home in Huncoat.
The female occupant and her son managed to escape the blaze at Oakdene Avenue at around 4.50am on Monday and were outside the property when the fire crew arrived.
Fire crews were there for around an hour and removed the remains of the blanket and the burned mattress from the smoke-logged house. The woman was taken to hospital for treatment.
Watch manager Nick Ingham said: “On cooler winter nights there’s a temptation to leave the electric blanket turned on. The appliance should be unplugged before going to bed and this applies particularly to older people or those affected by drink or drugs.
“Each year electric blankets cause around 5,000 fires each year and old or worn blankets should be tested annually.”