Elderly residents escaped from a bungalow after an unattended chip pan set a kitchen on fire.
The incident occurred at a Barrington Court property in Accrington at 3pm yesterday.
One female was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after being helped out from the bungalow by her friend.
Watch manager Keith Cunliffe, of Hyndburn Fire Station, said coonsequences would have been worse if it wasn't for a smoke alarm.
He said: "The kitchen was well alight when we arrived. But the two people who were inside were out by the time we got there.
"The smoke alarm went off and alerted the people inside. It's important to have a working smoke alarm - otherwise the consequences could have been a lot worse."
Firefighters used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a pressure ventilation unit to put the fire out. They were at the scene for around 45 minutes.
There was fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the bungalow.
Call 0800 169 1125 to have your free smoke alarm fitted.