Demolition of a 100ft tall fire-damaged chimney has finally begun.
The chimney at the Grade-II listed Rhyddings Mill in Oswaldtwistle was damaged in a blaze last year which left it in a dilapidated state.
Its condition was made worse by bad weather last winter and the theft of supporting beams.
Residents living near the Rhyddings Street mill feared the chimney would collapse after a large vertical crack formed.
Earlier this month the owners of the chimney, Bubble Holdings, appointed contractors to start the works after Hyndburn Council issued a notice that it would begin demolition if the company didn’t.
Demolition works began last Thursday.
Ward councillor Peter Britcliffe said: "I am delighted to learn the works have finally started. I know this chimney has been a real concern to residents living in the area."
During the first stage of demolition, workers had to chisel away at each brick by hand, a process which was estimated to take several days.
The chimney is expected to be completely demolished by the end of August.
The council served a 28-day notice to the owners in March stating they would take action if work was not undertaken.
The letter required the owners to carry out a survey which found the structural integrity of the chimney was ‘no longer acceptable’.
Following the report the owners were referred by the council to liaise with English Heritage about proceeding with the work.
Bubble Holdings carried out some work on the site but not on the chimney.
Another surveyor’s report was requested by the council last month and warned the building represented an ‘immediate significant risk’ to public safety and surrounding properties.
Coun Britcliffe said: "It has been a long process to get to this point and I am certainly glad for residents living in the area to have reached this point."
Bubble Holdings was unavailable for comment.