A hero saved a toddler’s life by running into a burning house. Father-of-one Daniel Goodill, 22, rescued the two-year-old girl as she lay in bed helplessly in a smoke-filled house on Lomax Street, Great Harwood.
Former St Bartholomew’s pupil Daniel was asleep on a sofa at his mum’s house on neighbouring Heywood Street when he heard screaming and ran outside.
He said: "There were loads of people on the street shouting that there might be a kid upstairs in the burning house.
"I had no trainers on at the time and was just wearing shorts.
"So I just ran straight in and upstairs towards the bedroom. It was pitch black and the smoke was black so I couldn’t see anything.
"I couldn’t hear the girl so was worried as I made it into a bedroom.
"Luckily I looked, saw her, got her, and got out as quickly as I could."
He added: "I just never thought about it. As soon as someone said there was a kid in there I just went for it because I thought ‘what if that was mine?’
"When I got downstairs I ended up passing the baby to my mum through the window."
Before Daniel’s heroics a passer-by to the blaze had smashed a front window so the young couple who lived there and two other children could escape.
The incident occurred at the mid-terraced house at around 2.40am on Sunday, February 20.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then searched the home before putting out the blaze.
It’s believed the fire was caused by a chip pan.
Lancashire Police confirmed two adults and three children were inside the house on Lomax Street when the fire started.
A neighbour said: "All I heard was kids screaming.
"I had only just woken up so didn’t know what was going on.
"As soon as I saw smoke I phoned the fire brigade.
"Thankfully a young lad who was passing by got a speaker from a house and smashed the window so people could get out.
"He was very brave. And I remember there being more than 20 people on the street, it was crazy.
"I think it is so brave what Daniel did because there was just black smoke everywhere."
Daniel’s mum Collette Goodill said: "My head was all over the place at the time. Daniel was very brave and a real hero."
Daniel’s girlfriend Demi, 20, said: "Even I thought ‘don’t go in Danny’ because it looked so dangerous.
"I’m proud of him."
Fire and police officials said no one was injured during the incident but all of the people involved were treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.
The fire caused severe damage to the cooker and a fridge freezer and light smoke damage to the first floor.
DI Claire Holbrook, of Accrington CID, confirmed that police knew about the incident but were not treating it as suspicious.