The RSPCA has warned dog owners to be vigilant after rumours emerged of ‘poisoned cocktail sausages’ being dropped around Accrington to harm pets.
A warning was posted by the RSPCA Lancashire East on their Facebook page cautioning residents that poisoned sausages had allegedly been dropped around town.
The post, which was shared hundreds of times, read: “We have been hearing reports that in the Plantation, Sandy Lane and Ledger area of Accrington, someone is putting down cocktail sausages with hidden poison in them. There have been reports of this happening in many different areas.”
A spokeswoman for the charity added: “We have not had any incidents reported, but we are urging dog walkers not to let their pets eat anything off the floor.”
Hyndburn council and Lancashire Police have not received any specific reports, but have reassured residents they would investigate.
A police spokesman said: “Things like this often do crop up on social media, in the past there have been warnings of poisoned carrots being dropped in Blackpool. Anyone with any information should call 101.”