Two takeaway bosses have been jailed for the manslaughter of a 15-year-old girl who suffered an allergic reaction to a meal.
Nut allergy sufferer Megan Lee died from an asthma attack after she ate food from the Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle.
The St Christopher's High School pupil and her friend ordered online via the Just Eat website two days earlier and wrote 'prawns, nuts' in the comments and notes section.
But the delivered meal - which included an onion bhaji, a seekh kebab and a Peshwari naan - was later found to have the 'widespread presence' of peanut protein.
Last month, a jury at Manchester Crown Court found takeaway owner Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 40, and manager Harun Rashid, 38, guilty of unlawfully killing Megan, from Oswaldtwistle, by reason of gross negligence.
The two-week trial heard there was a 'litany of failings' in the kitchen, including poor hygiene and no records of ingredients kept.
Five days after Megan's death - on January, 1 2017 - the restaurant was immediately closed down following an inspection by Trading Standards and environmental hygiene officers.
Rashid, of Rudd Street, Haslingden, who had claimed he was merely a delivery driver at the restaurant at the time, was also found guilty of failing to discharge a general duty of employers, contrary to the Health and Safety at Work Act, and another count of failing to put in place, implement and maintain a permanent procedure or procedures in contravention of European Union food safety regulations.
On Wednesday, he received a three-year term.
Kuddus, of Belper Street, Blackburn, admitted those charges on behalf of himself and on behalf of Royal Spice Takeaway Ltd, trading as Royal Spice Takeaway, and was given two years.
Sentencing the pair, Mrs Justice Yip told them Megan was responsible enough to highlight her allergies when placing the order but 'sadly the same responsibility was not at your end'.
"The Royal Spice had no systems or processes to manage allergen control. The menu contained no information about allergens. No record was kept of the ingredients used in dishes," the judge added.
"In short, it appears that no one at the takeaway had any way of knowing what allergens were in the food supplied."
The judge added: "It is hoped that the message is heard that those who fail to take proper care in the supply of food to the public will face significant custodial sentences if a death results.
"Like Mr and Mrs Lee, I hope that this tragic case adds to the growing awareness in the food industry of what can happen if allergies are not taken seriously.
"Those who fail to heed the warnings and who continue to flout food safety regulations may find the courts taking a harsher view in the future."
Before the men were sentenced on Wednesday, Megan's parents, Gemma and Adam, told a judge how the death of their 'best friend' had left them devastated.
They said they used to eat around the table as a family, but they have only done that once since Megan died because they 'broke down' over her empty chair.
The couple said they feel like they have been given a 'life sentence', but they are committed to preventing allergy-related deaths.
In a statement read out in court, they said: "Megan was a bright, articulate, kind and caring daughter. We feel heartbreak of her missing so many milestones.
"She will never get married, never turn 16, never get to see her little brother grow up, or go to her prom.
"She loved studying and her head was always in a book. She loved school. She was petite and all her friends towered over her, but she took it all in her stride.
"Megan loved music and we will miss watching her perform on stage. She loved to sing but will never reach her ambition to be an actress in the West End.
"We loved the time we had with Megan and the impact she had on our lives - and everyone she met.
"We haven’t learnt to deal with her loss yet and never will. It’s put a strain on our marriage and our life.
"We used to eat around the table as a family but have only managed to do that once since Megan died.
"We broke down because of the empty chair. Our trust is broken with food and at times the pain has felt too much.
"We have a life sentence but hope our story will stop others going through the same.
"We’ll continue working with the anaphylaxis campaign and trading standards. Megan was our princess."
The takeaway has since reopened under new ownership.