A terrified family said they ‘no longer feel safe in their own home’ and are looking to move out after a fuel canister attached to a flaming rag was thrown through their window.
Phillip Kenrick, his partner and her 21-month-old daughter, were awoken after the hearing a rear window smash at the property on Lodge Street in Accrington.
When they came downstairs Phillip said he spotted the cannister on the kitchen floor and threw a pan of water over it before calling the police.
Detectives have launched an investigation and believe it could be connected to similar incidents in the area earlier this year.
Former Rhyddings and Woodnook primary school pupil Phillip said they are now looking to move house following the ‘unprovoked attack’.
Phillip, 33, said: “We have only been living here since March. In January this same property had something pushed through the letter box and set on fire which damaged the vestibule.
“I don’t know why it’s happened to us. I was shaken up to my eyeballs. It could’ve been a lot worse.
“Now I’m in the process of looking for somewhere else to live as I don’t feel safe here anymore. We don’t sleep very well now and are worried it could happened again.
“We are trying to get back to normality but it’s really hard. It was totally unprovoked. It’s just lucky we are all safe and sound.”
Phillip, who used to work as a manager at Burger King, said the incident happened at around 7.30am on Sunday, August 30 and came as a ‘big shock to the system’.
He said: “I thought what happened in January was a one-off. Nothing like this has happened to us before then.
“We are just a normal family and wanting to get on with our lives. We don’t feel safe around here.
“I grew up in this area and my mum lives only a few streets away. I always thought this area was nice and peaceful but it seems to have changed over the years.
“Someone is going round doing it for fun but at what expense? They don’t think about endangering lives.”
Ward councillor Joyce Plummer said it is a ‘big concern’ for residents in the area.
She said: “There doesn’t seem to be any reason or connection as to why this is happening. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt but it needs to stop as they might not always get away without any injuries.”
‘Extremely sinister crime’
Detectives described the attempted arson as an ‘extremely sinister crime’ and said it had been ‘very frightening for the family involved’.
They have launched an investigation and said it follows a number of ‘similar incidents’ in the area over the last year.
The first happened on December 21, 2014 when a small fire was set underneath a vehicle on Avenue Parade.
A week later on December 28, accelerant was poured the letterbox of a house Manor Street causing a fire.
The third incident happened on January 4 this year when accelerant was poured through the same property on Lodge Street before being set alight.
A flammable liquid was also also poured into a vacant property on Marsden Street and set alight on January 11.
DS Ben Hodgkinson, of Blackburn CID, said the latest victims were ‘extremely lucky’ to reach the canister before it caused ‘potentially serious damage’.
He said they are trying to determine why the family have been ‘targeted’ and if it is linked to the previous incidents.
Anyone with information call 01254 353562 or 101 quoting log number 415 of August 30.