John Coleman admitted that finances may hold him back in his bid to boost his squad.
Despite Stanley collecting £18,000 from getting through the FA¿Cup first round after beating League One Oldham on Saturday, and the club being seemingly on a sound financial footing, Coleman may miss out on three additions due to money.
One is Burnley loan defender Kevin Long, who has now spent his month at the Crown Ground and the Reds boss was due to talk to the Clarets as the Observer went to press.
The other is ex-Reds centre back Kieran Charnock, who Coleman has enquired about but is not sure he will have the money for the extra wages.
Charnock is under contract at the Gulls but has spent most of this season on the bench and is understood to want a move for first-team football. Morecambe were also interested but Coleman is now thought to be heading the chase for the 26-year-old.
And the Reds boss has in mind a third, unnamed target that he fears he could miss out on due to cash.
"It all comes down to finances," said Coleman. "Squad-wise we are big on numbers but it comes down to money if we want more additions.
"That’s why I need to talk to Burnley about Kevin as finances could decide that and Kieran could also be too expensive. I did think Kieran was going to Morecambe but we will probably know more before this weekend.
"And there is another player but it’s touch and go due to finances with him. It’s just the way it is and it’s a case of wait and see."
Coleman will be without centre back Phil Edwards for tomorrow’s trip to Southend which is a rarity in itself.
Edwards has chalked up more than 150 consecutive appearances for the club – stretching back three years. But after collecting five bookings this season, there will be an unusual Stanley line-up without Edwards in it.
"For a defender to have so many appearances, that’s some going," said Coleman. "But to be honest, he shouldn’t have to miss the game. I would say there were two bookings that he shouldn’t have picked up – one against Chesterfield and one against Oldham – and I think he’s been unlucky.
"We have picked up some silly bookings in the last month – I think we have had some poor referees – but there’s nothing we can do. We won’t be the only team who suffers.
"Phil has been with us a long time and hopefully he will be with us for a long time in the future."
Defender Andy Owens could step into the squad after overcoming a groin problem.
One player who will be hard to leave out is midfielder Ray Putterill who scored two and created the other in the 3-2 win over Oldham.
After sitting out a 42-day ban carried over from amateur football, he got his first start against the Latics and impressed the gaffer, who said:¿"He has been waiting a long time for his chance to come back. It has been a shame as I obviously felt the length of the ban was harsh but I don’t make the rules.
"Ray is one of our influential players going forward and imagine Bury being without Ryan Lowe for nine weeks. I am so disappointed about that it’s untrue but there is nothing we can do about it now."
Stanley travel to the Shrimpers looking to move up from 18th place and end a run of five league games without a win.
"We showed against Oldham what we can do and we have set our standards now," said the Reds boss.
"Southend have a lot of height and strength in their side and it is something we will have to counteract. We have been playing some decent football though and hopefully we will get our rewards again."
Stanley have drawn Port Vale or Blue Square South side Dartford away in the second round of the FA¿Cup, who replay next Tuesday.
If it is Port Vale, it could be on Friday, November 26 as Stoke are at home to Manchester City on the Saturday and Vale and Stoke can’t be at home on the same day.
"I would have loved a home draw but we have had seven on the trot so I can’t complain," added Coleman. "We understand that if it is Port Vale it will have to be moved from the Saturday because of the police. I don’t mind if it’s the Friday," added Coleman.