Darran Kempson is set to follow Bobby Grant through the Stanley exit door after rejecting a new deal.
The 25-year-old centre-back – who arrived at the Crown Ground a year ago after being released by Wrexham – was one of 12 members of last season’s squad that boss John Coleman wanted to sign up for next term.
Coleman has had a positive response from seven of those players – Ian Dunbavin, Peter Murphy, Sean McConville, Alan Burton, Dean Winnard, John Miles and Luke Joyce.
Midfielder Joyce will be staying on after Stanley decided to exercise a one-year option to extend his contract, while the other six are expected to sign new deals shortly.
Coleman will discuss a pay-as-you-play deal with Leam Richardson when the right-back returns from his honeymoon next Friday.
The Stanley boss has made an offer to striker Billy Kee, who has also held talks with Torquay this week.
But Kempson’s decision to reject a new contract has come days after Grant left to join Scunthorpe United.
And with striker Michael Symes also looking increasingly likely to turn down a deal and try his luck elsewhere – with Rochdale in the frame for his signature – Coleman has acknowledged that he needs to get players in to bolster his squad.
He said: "Darran has rejected terms, so he will now look to get himself sorted out elsewhere.
"We’ve got a few players ready to sign for next season, but we haven’t got anywhere near enough, so I need to get a few more in.
"I’ve got players in mind, and I’ve got a few people to speak to, so it’s now a case of starting to put those plans into action."
Coleman’s hopes of keeping teenage striker Grant at the Crown Ground disappeared on Tuesday as he sealed his move to Scunthorpe.
Grant, 19, was out of contract, but Stanley are entitled to a fee for him because he is under 24 and they offered him a deal to stay.
The club are understood to want around £250,000 for the striker, and have pledged to give the money they receive to Coleman for squad building.
But the Stanley boss fears he may have a long wait for the cash if – as expected – they have to go to a tribunal with Scunthorpe to hammer out a fee.
Coleman said: "The money will be helpful, but it’s a case of when it comes. With a tribunal, you can be waiting up to a year."
Grant described his step up to the Championship as "what dreams are made of," and admitted that he wanted to join Scunthorpe as soon as he heard they wanted him.
He said: "My agent got in touch and told me that Scunthorpe were interested. As soon as I heard that, there was only one place I was going. I couldn’t turn this move down, no matter what.
"I want to do as well as I did for Accrington last year at Scunthorpe this year."
Coleman is still hoping to bolster his attack, although his chances of adding Kee to the squad on a full-time basis have been knocked by interest from a number of clubs.
League One sides Yeovil, Exeter and Bournemouth are tracking the striker, along with Stanley’s League Two rivals Torquay, Wycombe and Bradford.
Kee, who has recently been released by Leicester after spending a season on loan at the Reds, actually met Torquay boss Paul Buckle for talks this week.
Dean Sheehan, the Northern Ireland Under-21 international’s agent, said: "There are a number of clubs interested in him.
"It isn’t about money – he is looking for the right club and the right manager to help him develop, because we feel he has the potential to be a Dean Windass."