Accrington Stanley have made a bid to bring their record appearance holder Paul Mullin back to the club.
The Reds have been struggling up front with both Craig Lindfield and Rory Boulding battling injuries and without a goal in their first two League Two games.
And so boss John Coleman has contacted Morecambe about the possibility of bringing 36-year-old striker Mullin back to the club where he spent 10 years.
The Shrimps have so far turned down the requests with Mullin being on the bench for their first three games this season and playing just three minutes of their campaign so far.
It’s understood Mullin, with more than 400 appearances for the Reds under his belt before he made the switch to Morecambe in August 2009, would relish a return to the Crown Ground in search of regular first team football and Coleman was waiting for a response from Morecambe boss Sammy McIlroy.
"We are hoping Morecambe get back to us before the weekend," said Coleman. "It would be great for us to have him back at the club and great for him too. He is one of the best signings I have ever made and we hope we can get him back."
The Reds would be able to sign Mullin from yesterday after having another transfer embargo lifted.
Stanley were given it this week by the Football League over an unpaid payment stretching back to 2007 over a player.
Both clubs’ chairmen at the time – including Stanley’s Eric Whalley – agreed for it to be ‘left’ but a new finance director at the other club in question contacted the Football League over the unpaid three-year "debt."
The Reds were disappointed that the issue has been raised but were due to pay the sum yesterday to have the transfer embargo lifted.
Meanwhile Coleman insists his players won’t be sidestepped by their massive Carling Cup clash with Newcastle on Wednesday as they first focus on tomorrow’s League Two match with Macclesfield Town.
The Reds have so far failed to score in their two league games – which is why Coleman has upped his bid to bring a striker to the club.
Lindfield is only 50/50 to play against his former club after suffering a recurrence of his pre-season knee injury in the goalless draw at Northampton on Saturday and Boulding has been having treatment on his achilles all week.
"It’s a blow to lose Craig but I hope one of them will be fit but it is a case of knowing how far we can push them.
"We have other ways to play if necessary and we also have one or two other irons in the fire signing wise, but it is a bit frustrating at the moment as we can’t get what we want."
And Coleman won’t underestimate Macc, who have had a change around in personnel from last season.
"I think every time we play at home it is a winnable game and we won’t be taking Macclesfield lightly," said Coleman.
"They have turned in some great performances already this season but we do expect to win our home games, whoever we play.
"We will have to be at our best against them as you know what you are going to get from Macclesfield."
Macc boss Gary Simpson is also on the hunt for his first League win of the new campaign.
He said: "We’ve got a far stronger squad than we’ve had for a long while and with far more potential than before. Once we’ve got that first win and we’re up and running we’ll be OK."
Simpson admits that, while Stanley will undoubtedly pose a stern test, one of his prime concerns is the recently-laid £70,000 Crown¿Ground surface, which raised complaints from Aldershot boss Kevin Dillon in the opening game of the season.
Simpson said: "Accrington are unbeaten in three games so far and they had a good win in the cup, so it’s always a difficult place to go.
"But the pitch is dangerous, there’s no two ways about that. So that’s just an extra challenge for us, it would be nice to go and win and keep the confidence we have going."
Then it’s the eagerly-awaited Newcastle tie on Wednesday which is set to be a sell-out as Stanley look to reach the Carling Cup third round for the first time in their history.
The Reds are set to pocket £150,000 alone from Sky for the game being shown live but, with ticket and merchandise sales, it is set to raise over £200,000 to boost the cash-strapped club.
"It is probably one of the biggest games in our recent history," said chief executive Rob Heys.
"We are delighted it is on television as it gives us a chance to show the club to millions of viewers.
"Sky have picked it because there could be an upset – and we are hoping to cause one."
By a weird twist of fate, if the Reds do get Mullin back he could be up against defender Sol Campbell – who he marked in Campbell’s only League Two game for Notts County, which Morecambe won.
LEAM Richardson has signed a contract with the Reds. Richardson, who has been at the Crown Ground since 2005, hopes to overcome the injuries which have hampered him the last two seasons. "It’s a good deal as Leam can play a number of positions, either in defence or midfield," said Coleman.
THE Reds have drawn away at Tranmere in the first round of the Johnstone Paints Trophy. The game will be played on Tuesday August 31, ko 7.45pm. It marks a return to their former club for Andy Parkinson and Charlie Barnett.