A number of sporting individuals and clubs from Accrington have made the shortlist for the Lancashire Sports Awards 2011 – the largest celebration of amateur sport in the county.
Now in its 10th year the ceremony, to be held on Friday, November 25 at Blackpool’s Hilton Hotel, brings together representatives from Lancashire’s 14 local authorities to recognise those that perform at the highest level in community sport and those who work to support individuals or clubs.
Sam Heap from Belthorne United is up for coach of the year while Accrington Girls and Ladies FC are in the running for Community Club of the Year.
Four are representing Hyndburn for the Young Volunteers of the Year with Sohali Asghar, Rohail Asghar, Qasim Munir, Shabar Hussain, Usman Malik and Mohammed Ali Khan all from The New Era Complex.
Dancer Lauren Davidson is hoping to win the Rising Star award while Phil Sumner, coach at Hyndburn Athletics Club for seven years, is competing for Adult Voluteer of the Year.
Stephen Lee is one of the candidates for the Lifetime Achievement award.
England footballing legend, Jimmy Armfield OBE, will chair the judging panel alongside Dave Edmondson from the Football League Trust and the evening will be hosted by Sky News presenter, Angela Powers.
Coach of the Year (sponsored by The University of Central Lancashire):
- Lee Orrell – Blackburn Centurions Swimming Club (Blackburn)
- Nick Tucker – Sandygate ABC (Burnley)
- Sam Heap – Belthorne United Football Club (Hyndburn)
- Noel Finucane – Pendle Athletics Club (Pendle)
- Stuart Hunsley – Edenfield Cricket Club (Rossendale)
Community Club of the Year
- Blackburn Community Sports Club (Blackburn with Darwen)
- Burnley Cricket Club (Burnley)
- Accrington Girls and Ladies FC (Hyndburn)
- Colne Badminton Club (Pendle)
- Rossendale Basketball Club (Rossendale)
Young Volunteer of the Year – aged 14-24
- Danielle Marr – Blackburn with Darwen Acrobatics Club (Blackburn with Darwen)
- Felicity Pickard – Hyndburn Table Tennis Club (Burnley)
- Sohali Asghar, Rohail Asghar, Qasim Munir, Shabar Hussain, Usman Malik and Mohammed Ali Khan – The New Era Complex Young Volunteers (Hyndburn)
- Elizabeth Stansfield – Pendle Volunteer Programme (Pendle)
- Bilal Khan – Cricket Camps, Fusion Youth Project, Football Academy (Rossendale)
Rising Star 2011 (Sponsored by; North and Western Lancashire Chamber of Commerce):
- Sophie Charnock – Dance (Blackburn with Darwen)
- Hannah Till – Lowerhouse CC and Read Ladies (Burnley)
- Lauren Davidson – Dance (Hyndburn)
- Bethany Widdup – Alpine Skiing (Pendle)
- Chloe Love – Kickboxing, Alf’s Blackbelt Academy (Rossendale)
- Kristofer Berlindarson – Ski racing, Chill Factore (Rossendale)
Adult Volunteer of the Year
- Mike Leighton – Darwen Rangers (Blackburn and Darwen)
- Brian Crossley – Burnley Aqualions (Burnley)
- Phil Sumner – Hyndburn Athletics Club (Hyndburn)
- Nick Burton – Barrowfield Cricket Club (Pendle)
- Ken Masser – Rossendale Raptors Basketball Club (Rossendale)
Lifetime Achievement Award
- June Steele – Netball (Blackburn and Darwen)
- Alex Bryce – Aquatics (Burnley)
- Stephen Lee – Football (Hyndburn)
- Brian Foley – Rugby League (Pendle)
- Alfie Love – Kickboxing, Alf’s Blackbelt Academy (Rossendale)
School of the Year
- Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (Blackburn and Darwen)
- Ridgewood Community High School (Burnley)
- Blacko Primary School (Pendle)