DAVE Grimshaw’s dream of winning three consecutive Observer Golf Shields was lost on the 18th hole in the second round.
The Accrington Golf Club member admitted he had gone all out to clinch a rare three-in-a-row but fellow club member Pete Mara made sure it wasn’t to be.
Dave, who plays off five, was first to say that Pete played well on the day but the new handicap rules, introduced this year, worked against him.
A low handicap player used to give his opponent a quarter of the shots but now gives them the full lot to fall in line with other golf competitions.
"Pete plays off 20 and under last year’s rules, I would have given him 11 shots and it would have been a different result but obviously this year it’s 15.
"It is a lot to catch up but those are the rules.
"Saying that, I can’t take anything away from Pete as he played really well.
"I was talking to a mate of his a few days before and he said Pete was struggling with his putting.
"He was obviously just kidding me as anything that was near the hole, he putted!
"I might as well have given him the hole as soon as it went on the green. He knocked everything in."
The two were playing at Accrington Golf Club and Dave managed to claw back to make it all-square by the nerve-racking final hole.
"He had virtually a shot a hole but I should have done better on the ones where he didn’t have that, a few were all-square and I should have won them.
"I was pleased it went down to the 18th though and fancied my chances but Pete had a ten foot putt to win it and he held his nerve and in it went.
"I wanted to make it three in a row as it would be something I would treasure but I will be back next year.
"And I wish Pete all the best. He is up against Lee Shaw next who is another low handicapper and if Pete putts like he did against me, he will be hard to beat.
"He must be one of the favourites now."
Pete is currently in France playing golf but will return to the news of another tough draw.
THIRD ROUND DRAW
Matches to be played by Sunday 12 July:
- S Biggs (Ross) v R Sharples (Rish)
- M Beard (Acc) v T Walsh (Bax)
- J Sharp (Gt Har) v S Taylor (Acc)
- M Watts (Ross) v S McIntyre Jun (Acc)
- M Birtwistle (Ross) v T Briggs (Acc)
- C Catlow (Acc) v C Robertson (Gn Haw)
- S Bramwell (Gt Har) v P Raw (Acc)
- S Hudson (Acc) v P Briggs (Acc)
- I Hardman (Acc) v J Wyer (Gt Har)
- P A Biggins (Acc) v I Grime (Acc)
- J Harling (Acc) v M Higgins (Gt Har)
- G Yates (Acc) v D Tierney (Gn Haw)
- T Haworth (Rish) v G Hope (Gn Haw)
- M Conroy (Whall) v M Addisson (Rish)
- D Rodwell (Acc) v A Rigg (Acc)
- L Shaw (Acc) v P Mara (Acc)