AN AU pair and three children had to flee a house after a fire broke out following an electrical fault.
Au pair Romana Cazmeroa was awoken by the sound of a smoke alarm when a piece of cable underneath the floorboards caught fire at the house in Hollins Lane, Accrington, on Saturday at 12.30am.
She fled into the children's bedrooms to get them out of the house, which became filled with smoke. Meanwhile the children's parents were contacted and rushed home to find them safe.
A fire brigade spokesman said: "They all had a lucky escape. The incident could have led to serious injury, but she acted very quickly in getting out of the house right away."
The fire damaged a metre long piece of cable and caused damage to the timber floorboards.